VACANCY: SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (P2)CASSOA
EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY AND SECURITY OVERSIGHT AGENCY
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (P2) (REF: CAS/HR/001/2020)
The Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (EAC-CASSOA) is a self accounting institution of the East African Community. The Agency is looking for a highly motivated, result-driven and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda and South Sudan to fill the following position in the Agency.
|JOB TITLE:||Senior Accountant|
|REPORTS TO:||Executive Director|
|DUTY STATION:||CASSOA Headquarters Entebbe, Uganda|
- MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Senior Accountant is responsible of providing advice to the Agency Management on all finance matters to ensure that the Agency runs its business in accordance with best accounting principles and relevant financial rules and regulations. He/she provides technical support in the design, facilitation, and implementation of effective and efficient financial management systems and working capital management for sound decision making.
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains a sound accounting system, develops and implements strong internal control systems;
- Develops financial policies, strategies and regulations for the Agency and continuously reviews existing accounting processes, systems and controls for implementation in liaison with the relevant Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Ensures prompt implementation of financial decisions, directives or resolutions by the Board of Directors and Council of Ministers;
- Coordinates the budget process, reviews and consolidates departmental activities and budgets into the Annual Programme of Activities and budget for the Agency for the approval of the Board of Directors;
- Monitors and analyzes budget performance trends and prepares periodic budget performance reports;
- Prepares monthly management reports for review by the management and Board of Directors;
- Prepares financial statements and supporting schedules for timely internal and external audits;
- Monitors the activity of the Agency bank accounts, liaises with appropriate bank staff for resolution of issues arising and performs monthly reconciliations for review;
- Coordinates the mobilization of financial resources for support of the Agency’s programmes and projects;
- Monitors Partner States revenue contributions and submits demand notes to the Partner States;
- Monitors and analyzes status of obligations and expenditures and ensures that payments are made in accordance with the relevant rules and regulations;
- Monitors the effective and efficient operation of the Agency’s monthly payroll;
- Establishes and maintains an effective treasury management function including developing and implementing an Agency investment policy for the Agency funds as it will be approved by the Board;
- Provides overall leadership and supervision to accounts staff;
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
3. Qualification and Experience:
- Master’s degree in business related disciplines ie business administration, finance, financial management or accounting, management, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Finance from a recognized university.
- Be a member in good standing of a recognized professional Accountancy Body with a membership certificate and a letter of good standing from a recognized Accountancy Professional Body (ACCA, CA, CIMA, ICPAU, ICPAK, NBAA, ICPAR, etc).
- A minimum of 8 years relevant experience as a professional Accountant/ Finance Expert.
- Experience of at least 3 years at senior management level as line manager/supervisor within a finance department/unit in a reputable organisation
- Proficiency in general office IT applications and conversant with financial management systems preferably Sun system
- Working experience with reputable international or regional organisation
- Experience within the aviation industry with good appreciation of safety and security oversight
4.1.1 Professionalism: Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Accounting Standards (IAS). Observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
4.1.2 Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others; exhibits interest in having two-way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
4.1.3 Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
4.1.4 Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
4.1.5 Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement.
4.1.6 Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
5. ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATIONS
This vacancy is open to citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda and South Sudan.
6. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The above is an established position within the Agency’s organization structure and is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once subject to satisfactory performance and age limit requirements.
7. EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
All candidates applying for the above position must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner States. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
8. RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
9. SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
The established position offers a competitive salary and attractive fringe benefits including house allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme and insurance cover among others.
10. AGE LIMIT REQUIREMENT
The Agency Staff Rules and Regulations stipulate that no candidate above the age of 55 years will be considered for employment in the Agency.
11. HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the requirements are advised to send the following:
- Signed application letters,
- Duly filled and signed EAC-CASSOA Personal History Form, (Download Here)
- Photocopies of academic degrees,
- Professional certificates/licenses, membership certificate,
- A letter of good standing from a recognized Accountancy Professional Body (ACCA, CA, CIMA, ICPAU, ICPAK, NBAA, ICPAR, etc), and
- A copy of national identity card, birth certificate or passport showing the date of birth not later than 4th September 2020, quoting the job advert reference number of the position applied for. The application documents should be sent via email (all soft copies should be in PDF format and organized in one file) or in hard copies and addressed to:
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
P O Box 873,
- The recruitment of the above job will be subject to the EAC Quota system.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not indicate nationality and age, the reference number, and do not include a signed application letter, duly filled and signed EAC-CASSOA personal history form, copies of academic degrees, membership certificate and a letter of good standing from a recognized Accountancy Professional Body, and three referees shall be disqualified.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.